Posts for tag: Infant
Your child’s safety is your responsibility, even when your baby is sleeping.Your pediatrician is available to provide you with helpful tips to keep your baby safe while he or she is sleeping.
While you may find relief when your baby is asleep, it is still important to practice safety to ensure your baby’s health. Some helpful tips offered from your pediatrician include:
- All infants should be put down for sleep on their back to reduce the risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Avoid soft bedding that might suffocate your baby, such as pillows, blankets, plush toys, and bumpers.
- Crib slats should be 2 3/8 inches apart or less so that your baby’s head cannot get trapped.
- Keep your baby’s room at a moderate temperature and dress them in a way that will prevent them from overheating to also reduce the risk for SIDS.
- Share a bedroom with your newborn—but not a bed.
- Avoid devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS, such as sleep positioners.
Nursing your baby and making sure that your baby gets all of the recommended vaccines can help protect against SIDS. Your pediatrician is available to provide you with the right information to protect your baby and keep him or her healthy and that includes proper care while they are sleeping.